Sunday, October 22, 2006

Century #25: Bellfountain, Harrisburg, Peoria, Peterson Lp, Philomath Lp

Barely squeaked this one out before it was completely dark!!! Rode the first 57 miles on the Ritchey/Alps and my new orthotics. My left calf, which had been sore from a spinning class earlier in the week, started giving me problems. It felt better to pedal out of the saddle!

The left calf always gets it when I start back to the spinning class -- I'm missing a soleus thanks to getting "whacked" during my record attempt across MS in '97. Of course the "Helen-ator" led my first class back -- "I'll be baaach!" Seems the spinning bike engages the muscles a little differently than my road bike.

Near Peoria, I came across a rider in the his aerobars wearing a Chronos TT helmet. I concentrated on catching him and it took a while. (The calf felt a little better when I hammered.)

I think the new orthotic/shim for my left shoe is somehow working my calf more. Scott Peterson (my orthotics guy in Bend) had said that he put in more correction since I had adapted so well to the old ones. Perhaps my position on the bike isn't exactly dialed in -- nothing like a longer ride to point that out!

I stopped at the house after 57 miles and changed bikes and shoes. Pulled out the red De Rosa. The calf still hurt on the upstroke, but I decided to push on. After a few miles it settled down and actually got better. Aha!

Another reason I'm doing bike changes during rides is to simulate what will happen in a long event. Good to know in advance how this works out. Sometimes it is helpful to change saddles and shoes to alleviate a problem. (No problems with my feet and bum these days!!)

counties visited: Lane (nuclear free!), Linn, Benton
climbing: 1500 ft
calories; 3263
miles: 91
temp: 59F (but comfy -- a bit windy!)
cadence 59 avg, 89 max
avg speed: 17
Miles-to-medal: 423.20

No comments: