Saturday, October 21, 2006

Century #24: Kings Valley, Monmouth, Independence, Buena Vista, Albany, Decker + Peterson Loops (120 miles)

Before I started my ride, the Weather Channel said it was 39F, but my outdoor thermometer said it was 34F! Nonetheless it was clear outside and no real excuse not to ride!

I left at the last possible moment, 9:15, to attempt to intercept the MVBC "long" ride to Monmouth. (It warmed to a blazing 40F now!)

I saw nobody in Philomath and though I rode slowly, nobody caught up with me. Maybe they took a different route? Didn't spent much time at the Kings Valley store and pushed on. Absolutely gorgeous in Kings Valkey this time of year!

In Polk County I saw a few signs for "Tom Ritchey -- Polk County Commissioner". Don't know about the politician, but the Tom Ritchey who made my Breakaway has my vote.

It eventually warmed up to 70F by the time I finished my first 73 miles. I made myself a grilled sandwich (thanks to Mr. Foreman) and took off for some more miles. I swapped my De Rosa Primato for the Ritchey and changed into my newer shoes with my most recent orthotics (with greater correction than the old ones).

The Ritchey felt funny for a few miles but I eventually settled in. I felt as though my pace picked up riding the Ritchey. I think the De Rosa needs a little work. There's a little creaking noise on every down stroke of the pedal; might swap pedals to see if it goes away.

The Ritchey, in comparison, is quiet. The PP 247 pedals on this bike are very easy to clip into -- it's as though magnets are pulling your shoes in!! (The older pedals on my De Rosa have almost 16,000 miles on them -- maybe they're tired! I *do* grease them from time-to-time.) I've already ruled out the BB, I've already reinstalled the crank arms and BB to the proper torque.

Counties: Benton, Polk, Linn
Distance: 120 miles
Climbing: 4040 ft (not the flattest ride)
Calories: 5311
Avg cadence: 62 (91 max)
Low temp: 39F, High: 70F
Miles to medal: 514.20

No comments: