Saturday, January 27, 2007

#1 Out-of-the-box century

I decided to skip the dual spinning classes today and actually get on the bike.
Wouldn't you know it, my first time on the bike this year is a .... century!!

It was dry today, but cold. It was about 33 when I left the house this morning. I rode the red De Rosa, which is in a little need of a tuneup.

(BTW, that De Rosa was purchased for about $2000 in 2004 on ebay. It now has over 16,000 miles on it. That comes to roughly 12.5 cents per mile.)

Rode to Brownsville, did the Team TT loop, stopped at home for a little chow, rode the Decker loop and did "victory laps" around the neighborhood until the odometer said 100!

The wind was coming out of the east when I started. The roads had a little frost still on them, particularly in the shade. There was actually a "stagnant air" warning because of a lack of wind. On the way back from B'ville, someone turned on the big fans -- the wind was billowing from the north. Ack!

Wore booties, a balaclava (this was my first time trying one -- great!), skullcap, Patagonia capilene undershirt, Blackbottoms long sleeve jersey, and a Sugoi jacket. Did the trick!

Mileage: 100.8
Calories: 4860

Points on the board! Yeah!

2 comments:

John Henry said...

Yeah, Number One is done!

It must have been hard to go back out after warming up in your home. I admire your diligence!

Mark Janaba and I rode to Brownsville on Saturday. We flying on the way down, and crawling on the way back. I was glad I had someone to trade off breaking the wind with. When it was all done, I had my second century in.

But since then, I have come down with the flu and I have no energy. I can't afford to miss riding this weekend if I want to have a good result at Death Valley on March 3.

ultracyclist said...

Sorry you have the flu! Get well soon!!