Monday, September 24, 2007

Forty-seven: Jefferson night loop + part of a Peach

After taking a low power nap at 9:30, I woke up at 10:30, feeling, well, horrible.

I drove over to Jefferson and tried to catch a wink in the car. Sandy arrived and got me underway. I did a short loop, making a wrong turn onto Wintel. After getting back on track I rode the longer loop about 4 or 5 times. Sandy had me riding until sunrise, sometime after 7am.

We set up a pit area just after some railroad tracks. Sandy made up some hot mash potatoes and refilled my bottles with Powerbar Recovery drink. Yup, we're using it as *fuel*. Works well!

On the loops, we saw a skunk (twice), a deflated snake and possum, a live possum that went for my front wheel, an owl, a cat, and a deputy sheriff who pulled Sandy over quite briefly to see what we were up to.

After letting me ride back to J-town, I set back out to ride halfway to Salem (or so). Sandy shuttled me to the starting line of the Peach of a Century and I rode the first leg back to J-town. Surprisingly I had enough legs to pass a lot of riders, except for a couple who pulled away from me.

Distance: about 130.6
Averaged 17.2 on the night loops
Bike: De Rosa with Cateye Opticube and Vredestein tires at 130 lbs

Special thanks to S-A-N-D-Y! Who do *you* know would volunteer to follow you around all night to make sure you get some night training for the 508????

No comments: