Monday, April 16, 2007

New BB for the red De Rosa

Took a day off. No riding, no gym. Instead I replaced the BB on the red De Rosa and cleaned the drive train.

The old BB seems ok. I figured I'd replace it while I have it out. I'll grease the old one and keep it as a spare.

When I pulled the BB, a little water came out. Didn't find any rust. I think some of the water might have seeped in on the way back from Davis or from condensation. The BB shell doesn't have a drain hole (and I'm not about to go drilling on a classic frame!)

Cumulative mileage on the red De Rosa: 16,500. (The last time I replaced the BB was in 2004, just after RAO camp. On the last day of camp, the bearing on the left side were ground to bits and seized up. Now you see why I keep an eye on BBs!)

Good site on how to service BBs: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94

No comments: