Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Why you shouldn't ride a new bike at an event

I knew better than to take the new Cervelo to the Davis 12-hour. And it turns out I was right -- nope, I didn't take it...

I went out for the Tuesday ride with the club. Would you know it, the Cervelo's drivetrain starts to skip just before we start up the Lewisburg saddle.

Jon Beilby was nice enough to stop and help me diagnose it. At first it looked like the chain was too long. After fiddling with it, I discovered the culprit -- a stiff master link. (I tried to work it out, but it didn't help.)

I turned around and decided to head for Cyclotopia, the only shop still open at 6pm. They didn't have a link or a replacement chain, but they made it a little better for the rest of the way home.

At home I replaced the Wipperman 10sp chain with another model (hollow pin) and it works great! The fact that the link was a bit stiff might explain the vibrations I was getting from the chain as I pedaled... A quick test ride seemed to indicate that the case is closed...

Distance: about 20
Bike: Cervelo Soloist Carbon (Campy equipped, of course!)

No comments: