Sunday, August 19, 2007

Forty: Lighthouse Century

Hello from Newport, Oregon!

Yaquina Wheels put on a ride today called the Lighthouse Century (See http://www.yaquinawheels.org). Since it was supposed to rain, I brought "the truck", my '91 Specialized Sirrus, which weighs over 30 pounds. The rack, CXP-30 wheels and pannier loaded with clothes made it even heavier.

It used to be a Shimano 7-speed bike, but after wearing out a third rear wheel, I decided to graft on some classic Campy 8-speed components. (The crankset is still Shimano -- they work just fine together.) In 1991 I rode my first cenury on this bike in Montgomery, AL.

I think I had the only bike on the course with downtube shifters. Had a good time passing all the carbon -- tee hee! (Of course I too have a carbon bike, but today was retro day!) You know, it's amazing how simple and reliable the old downtube shifters are!

At the rest stop on the Siletz highway I met RAAMster Ish Makk! (His RAAM hat and T-shirt have it away.) He was working at the SAG.

Distance: 101 miles
Average speed: 17mph
Energy: 4344 calories
Ascent: 3015 ft.
Food: ate lots of stuff (potatoes, boiled eggs, chips, etc.)

No comments: