Saturday, February 10, 2007

#3 The "Awful" Century

The ride started out ok, but eventually became miserable as the skies opened up and dumped on us for most of the day. I've never been covered with so much mud!

I took out my 16 year old Specialized Sirrus which has a rack, but no fenders. It's had fenders before, but they didn't hold up very well. The problem is that there isn't much clearance between the rear brakes and the wheel.

Started the ride with the MVBC. I rode to Bellfountain, Harrisburg, Peoria, Brownsville, Tangent, and Philomath.

Even my Polar 720i started to have problems after 63 miles. It would display average speed, current time, speed, and HR -- but the "calories" and odometer got "stuck". Hopefully this doesn't mean that the unit is shot!

Distance: 106 miles (3rd ride of the year; 3rd century! yeah!)
Calories: 4000+

Consumed: A bottle of Orange-Vanilla Perpetuem (should have brought more), two Tiger Milks, two packages of Grandma Oatmeal cookies (all I could find at the store in Harrisburg). Orange-Vanilla sounds like a gross flavor, but it's actually pretty good when chilled -- the weather helped with that!

No comments: