Sunday, May 27, 2007

Century 21: 130 miles!

I rode hard the whole way. First thing, I got off the front and eventually Vic and another strong guy caught me -- but they turned off in Peoria to go to B'ville. John, who caught us just before Peoria, took turns with me riding to Harrisburg. He peeled off in Harrisburg because he needed to get home by 2pm.

I pushed on to Coburg at a leisurely pace, eventually getting swallowed up by the peloton. On the climb out of Marcola, I managed to stay with a couple who dropped the rest of the group. Knowing the road well, I turned up the heat and walked away when the road turned up some more. The rest of the way back I took some monster pulls and managed to edge out Larry for the sprint at the end of Peoria road.

After downing some groceries at home, I went out for a Peterson loop, continuing my tradition of extending the MVBC's "long" ride...

Bikes: red De Rosa, 106 miles; Cervelo, 14 miles
Calories expended: ~4500 (interesting -- this is what I usually burn in a century)
Feed: three bottles of Perpetuem, a 20oz Gatorade (Harrisburg), a can of tomato juice & a ham sandwich (Coburg), a 20oz Diet Pepsi (Crawfordville), a small salad + a toasted cheese sandwich (home, before the last loop) and Diet Lime Cola.

Also took a single Endurolyte at Crawfordville.

Note: Drinking the Diet Pepsi on the route may seem crazy, but it was truly refreshing. It does provide fluids, sodium, and caffeine. I felt stronger on the second half of the ride. I was pushing hard but struggling a bit early in the ride -- perhaps after effects of the ride the day before.

No comments: