Monday, May 07, 2007

Wipperman chain issues

My new Cervelo came with a Wipperman chain. I've used Wippermans for years with no issues.

After three rides I had a problem with a stiff link -- the master link.

I replaced the chain with a new spare I had and after a couple hundred miles, it started skipping; the master link went stiff. (I also had another link go stiff on the same ride.)

What gives?

These are the nickel plated Wipperman 1008 chains, which are Campy compatible. I'm using a Miche 10-speed (Campy compatible) cassette -- can't imagine how that would be an issue.

I'm using 2007 Campy Chorus Ultratorque components -- can there be some sort of incompatibility? Or am I unlucky?

If you have a solution or have had similar problems, please post a reply to this blog entry.


Others have had similar issues with Wipperman 10-sp chains: See

No comments: