Sunday, June 10, 2007

Twenty-five: Strawberry Century (101 miles)


I got up at 4:50, picked up a friend, and drove over to Lebanon Oregon to help with registration at the Strawberry Century.

Around 8:30 or so, I started out in a slight drizzle. They changed the course this year to avoid the "boring" 30 mile loop in and out of Brownsville.

I brought my 1991 Specialized Sirrus with a rear rack and pannier full of clothes. I just knew it was going to rain -- and had plenty of evidence from watching the weather forecast on KATU. Lo and behold, I got solidly soaked near Brownsville.

Considering I was riding "the beast", it was only fitting that I wore number "666". (I got quite a few comments about that number!)


My bike computer stopped getting a signal as it got wet. My Polar, covered in a baggie, missed about 32 miles of the course. After nearly 40 miles, I noticed the "trip" distance was only 5.9. I pressed the "red" button and it started recording the mileage again. I rode the whole course, so I know I got in 101 miles.

I had a strong ride and never got passed -- though I passed a lot of carbon with my lugged steel frame with sturdy CXP 30 wheels and downtube shifters. None of the hills seemed as hard as they were in previous editions. Fresh from RAO camp, I suppose that's not unexpected!

The treat at the end was great -- strawberry shortcake with ice cream! (Thanks to Santiam Spokes for another great ride! The hills at the end were a nice touch!)

No comments: