Saturday, June 16, 2007

Twenty-six: 136.2 miles, Marcola Century and beyond

I brought the Cervelo Soloist out to play today and it did great!

We had a scream-fest all the way to Harrisburg, at which point a few riders turned around. At Coburg, a few more riders called it a day and turned back (two of them were the ones who kept pushing the pace). Phrases such as "I need to spend time with my family" and "Gotta go to Saturday Farmer's market" were overheard.

By the time "we" reached Coburg, it was down to three: Henry, Lyle and me. We rode hard, stopped in Brownsville for a well-earned sandwich, and flew back into Corvallis. After a brief stop at home, I ventured out to the Holiday Tree Farm (on Bellfountain Rd.) and came back via Peterson and Philomath.

This hard ride is good training for the Watermelon double I'll be doing next Sunday.

Total Distance: 136.2
Average speed for the first 101 miles: 20.2
Ascent: 2055 feet

Notes:
  • The aerobars were handy in the headwinds coming back from B'ville.
  • Mounting my Polar on the stem works fine for the speed sensor, but the reading from the HR strap were all over the place and sometimes got no reading at all. (I'm going to replace the battery in the strap, a CR2025.)
  • The Cervelo seems to be friendly to the rear-end. (I'm using Hed Alps wheels and an Arionne saddle.) The rough chip sealed roads didn't seem as harsh.
  • Food consumed: two bottles of Perpetuem, a Tiger Milk bar, 20 oz Gatorade, a V-8, and a turkey sandwich with chips and soda + a snack at home
  • I weighed 191 after the ride; I was a little dehydrated...

No comments: