Monday, July 09, 2007

Monday night ride: 30+

Took out the Soloist for the Monday night ride, also known as "Paris-Roubaix" because of the rough roads.

Usually there's a sprint for the sign at the end of Peoria Road (at the junction of Hwy 34).
I decided to "go" very early, using the aerobars -- and it worked. I have no idea how fast we were going (directly into a headwind); I can't see my Polar 720i because I'm wearing it.

Betty said she came off at 29 mph. Jessica stuck like glue and tried to come around. I was so impressed with her ability to stay on. Although she hasn't ridden much this year, she's still a tough racer.

I thought the bike was getting a little noodly near the sign. It could have been that my front tire was starting to lose air. On the bike path, on the way home, it went completely flat! I pulled out a spare tube and discovered the valve stem was too short (it was a long one, but not a 60mm.) And my spare valve stem extender wouldn't fit the Alps -- it was too thick!

So I simply patched the tube, used a CO2 cartridge to pump it up, and I was back on track!

No comments: