Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Thirty-two: Marys Peak Century

The Mid-valley Bicycle Club celebrates the 4th each year with a climb up Marys Peak, at 4000 ft, the tallest peak in the Oregon coastal range.

Turnout was low and unfortunately there was no SAG at the top. My bottles were nearly empty! Fortunately there's a water spigot at the campground about a mile from the top.

I rode the De Rosa and tested the 12-27 cassette (Miche). The 27 made the steep parts just a little easier. After I made it home, I switched bikes and rode the rest of the Cervelo. Rode to the Christmas tree farm on Bellfountain and then over Decker.

Distance: 91 miles
Bikes: De Rosa (48), Cervelo (43)
Ascent: 4135 (Marys Peak) + 1170 (Decker + Philomath) = 5305 ft
Temp: 90F in the afternoon

On the second part of my ride, I stopped at the Philomath Mickey D's for a cool soft-serve ice cream and to fill my bottles with ice and water.

No comments: