Saturday, September 23, 2006

Century #20, Marcola Century

The MVBC ride captain decided to replace the 76 mile to Brownsville with the "Marcola Century". See http://www.mvbc.com for the route.

It started out cool (low 40s), but eventually warmed up. I got by with arm warmers, "kneekers" and a wind breaker. We flew down Peoria Road -- I had a 10+ mile pull with the speed ranging from 22 - 26 (slight tailwind). The group (Lyle, Tim, Henry, Elisa, and me) stopped in Coburg where I had a turkey sandwich and a Gatorade. (It was great riding with these guys!!)

On the rollers to Brownsville (from Crawfordville), I was summoned to the front -- that was a first!! :-) I felt great and had a good pull the rest of the way into Brownsville (even "won" the sprint for the sign by coming off the front. :-)

We later stopped in Brownsville for sour cream and chicken tamales at the restaurant that was formerly an antique store. (We had planned to eat at the eatery up the street, but it was overflowing with members of a motorcycle club).

Great day to ride a century! (We averaged 19.6 for the first 81 miles; 18.4 overall).

107 miles
4900 calories

No comments: