Saturday, March 10, 2007

#6 Monster-pull Century

This was my 6th time on the bike this year -- and century #6! (No photos -- I was busy RTFB! Sorry Marmot, I couldn't resist!)

Met the MVBC club on the road. I couldn't make it to the Beanery to start with everyone else because I had to fix the bike. I found that my right downtube shifter was missing a key bolt. Luckily I borrowed one from the old set of shifters.

The ride was mostly dry, except for a few sprinkles here and there and a little heavier rain near the end of my ride.

I rode with Larry, Terry, Erica, and Karin (sp?) for most of the ride, starting in Shedd. I took long pulls into Waterloo and did most of the pulling all the way back to Corvallis. It was a bit windy riding west back to Corvallis, so the group formed an echelon behind me. They were kidding me that it was the only way they could keep up. (Yeah, right.) I did take it to 22 near Tangent because I felt like cruising.

Scott Sturtz (RAAM rider) once told me during BMB in '94 -- riding pacelines don't do you any good. Stay at the front. Yeah, I hogged all the quality workout time!

I'm riding fairly well on my 26lb Specialized Sirrus. No flats today -- that new 28mm Ultra Gator skin tyre held up great! Didn't get dropped on the hills going into Lebanon either.

Miles ridden: 101

Route: Shedd, Lebanon, Waterloo, Tangent, Decker Loop, Airport Loop

Calories burned: ~4517 (With all the pulling, I feel like toast.)

Consumed: two bottles of Perpetuem, two bottles of water (actually ran out on the last loop), a Tiger Milk (140 cal), and two Cliff bars (not bad, better than the sawdust-bars)

Bike: 8-speed Specialized Sirrus with CXP 30 wheels and a rack (need a bag to put on it) Discovered that the right pedal needs grease (I greased the axles before the ride; the rear one was a little gritty.)

Rode with only two layers today -- a Sugoi jacket and a full length poly-pro jersey

Avg Temp: 57F

No comments: