Friday, March 23, 2007

Bottom bracket self-destruct

I think I've found the source of the clicking on my red De Rosa -- the bottom bracket. I've read that Chorus BBs start to creak when they're on their way out. Mine is about two years old and come to think of it, I've been through this before. Face it, I eat BBs. I've checked everything else, including re-torquing the BB, tightening the chainring bolts, crankarms, etc.

The reviews at excelsports.com confirm the tendency of these BBs to creak and then fail. My last BB self-destructed in a major way at the RAO camp. It made so much noise that a support van passing me heard it and stopped without having to signal them.
The bearings on the left side were ground to a pulp.

Well, I don't have time to change it now, so I'll just continue to ride it. Or perhaps I'll take the blue De Rosa instead. (But red bikes are faster!)

It might be fun to drive my riding companion nuts!

-- Nutso Nutria

No comments: